Like Lindsay Lohan without a drink in her hand, or Kim Kardashian without the paparazzi around her, it's official:
Casey James is lost without his guitar.
The one-time favorite is in serious trouble of going home this week, following an abysmal rendition of "Blue Skies" on American Idol last night. Simon Cowell summed him up well, saying Casey wasn't "fantastic" and seemed awkward and embarrassed.
That's an understatement.
Who ruled the night? Lee DeWyze and Michael Lynche. We rank the Harry Connick Jr.-mentored performances below:
- DeWyze: Ellen said his take on "That's Life" would have won the whole thing for Lee if he sang it on the finale. That's a stretch, but it was definitely our favorite performance. We've heard all season that DeWyze has the most radio-ready voice and this did nothing to diminish that reputation.
- Lynche: Love him in the fedora. It's the perfect accessory for Big Mike. As usual, he connected with viewers by singing a classic love song, "The Way You Look Tonight."
- Crystal Bowersox: Eh, nothing special. But we did see a Siobhan-like side, as Crystal talked back to the judges and said she doesn't want to hit high notes simply because she's on American Idol. Might this anti-Idol attitude come back to bite the favorite? Could fans turn on her?
- Aaron Kelly: Not as bad as Casey, but nothing memorable, either. Really not top-five material, an opinion unchanged following "Fly Me to the Moon."
- James: The most in danger this week. Not very versatile and utterly confused about what to do without a guitar in his hands.
Who was your favorite? Who would you vote out tonight?