The smile-filled journey of Tim Urban came to an end last night, as American Idol viewers voted this finalist off the show.
The elimination didn't come as a shock, giving Tim's lackluster performance of "Better Days" on Tuesday, but the man that joined Urban in the bottom two may have surprised many: Casey James was finally punished for his lack of creativity on a weekly basis.
As for the two-hour broadcast itself, Idol Gives Back is always an impressive event. It brings numerous A-listers together in the name of such charities as Save the Children.
Among this year's highlights:
- Wanda Sykes doing a stand-up routine in which she questioned the cruelty of making eliminated contestants sing the same song for which they were voted out.
- Mary J. Blige singing "Stairway to Heaven" with Randy Jackson on the guitar.
- A reunion of the top 12 stage on stage, as seen below.
- Barack and Michelle Obama appearing in a video message, thanking everyone for giving. "Ya'll are all my dawgs," the President said.
- Annie Lennox taping a segment about an HIV-positive girl in Africa.
- Jennifer Garner showcasing poverty and how it affects kids in America.
- Testimonials from stars such as Ben Affleck and Morgan Freeman; music from Alicia Keys, the Black Eyed Peas and Carrie Underwood, and comedic bits with George Lopez, Russell Brand and Jonah Hill.
All in all, a wonderful program that raised millions for important causes - but sent one cute, aspiring singer home unhappy.