Casey James and Crystal Bowersox who?!?
With a performance of Kate Bush's "This Woman's Work," Michael Lynche established himself as the new American Idol favorite last night.
Showing incredible range, from an amazing falsetto to an impressive baritone, the man known as Big Mike brought Kara DioGuardi to tears. A lot of tears. She could barely get her words of praise out as she choked up. It was actually a very sweet moment.
Below, we've ranked the eight performances from last night. Lynche aside, who was your favorite?
- Michael Lynche: So this is what happens when your wife is in the audience, huh?
- Casey James: Not his best performance, and we agree the Keith Urban song was a safe choice... but who else deserves this spot?
- Alex Lambert: You can stop with the banana references now, Ellen. Solid rendition of a Ray LaMontagne classic proves Lambert is simply a great singer.
- Andrew Garcia: The judges have forced him to get as creative as possible each week, taking his focus off actual singing, it seems. Can we all just forget about his "Straight Up" arrangement at this point?
- Todrick Hall: Points of taking a risk. But "Somebody to Love" almost belongs to the Glee cast at this point. We just think of them when we hear it.
- Aaron Kelly: Solid version of "I'm Already There." We're glad Simon shut Kara up about taking the song so literally and making it seem like a young crooner couldn't take it on.
- Lee DeWyze: He'll likely stick around, but our least favorite performance from this rocker.
- Tim Urban: Were we listening to a different version of "Hallelujah?" We didn't buy him at all singing this classic.