The surprising death of Corey Haim earlier today came after he collapsed in the bedroom of his mother's apartment and four prescription bottles were found.
Law enforcement sources say Corey had been sick the last couple of days with flu-like symptoms, though the medications recovered were not related to his illness.
No illegal drugs were found in the apartment.
Sources say Haim got out of bed this morning and collapsed in front of his mother. She called 911 at 12:53 a.m. Corey was taken to the hospital and died 2:15 a.m.
A witness at the apartment complex says paramedics spent 20 minutes in the apartment before carrying him out on a stretcher with an oxygen mask over his face.
Authorities have wrapped up their preliminary investigation and believe, though they are not yet certain, that Corey died of an accidental drug overdose.
Corey Haim (1971-2010) had battled prescription drug addiction for years.
The troubled actor was approached in the last 10 days by the casting company for Celebrity Rehab, according to reports, but abruptly declined that offer.
Casting producers say he was "extremely defensive, saying, 'It's the last show I'd ever do.'" He ended the conversation saying "I do not need help."
Dude, even DMX wants Dr. Drew's help. Ain't no shame in it.
Haim will forever be tied to his namesake and fellow former child star, Corey Feldman, with whom he starred in several hit films during the 1980s.
Feldman released a statement on the death of his best friend Haim, which he calls "tragic" and begs people to learn a "lesson" from Haim's passing.
In the statement on Feldman's blog, the actor says "My eyes weren't even open all the way when the tears started streaming down my face."
He adds, "We must all take this as a lesson in how we treat the people we share this world with while they are still here to make a difference.