The death of DJ AM was the result of an accidental drug overdose and not a suicide, according to law enforcement sources, and it stems from a tragic source.
A recovering addict, the 36-year-old celebrity DJ developed a dependency to Xanax and other benzodiazepines (drugs used to treat anxiety) as a result of the plane crash he and Travis Barker famously (and miraculously) survived a year ago.
DJ AM understandably developed major anxiety over flying - something he had to do frequently for his job. Doctors began prescribing Xanax and other anti-anxiety medications to help him, but the drugs triggered a relapse into addiction.
Benzodiazepines are particularly dicey for recovering addicts, and sources say DJ AM's relapse was "recent" - he was not abusing for a prolonged period.
R.I.P. Adam Goldstein, a.k.a. DJ AM (1973-2009).
People close to the case also say that his death had "absolutely nothing to do with his recent breakup" with Hayley Wood, which has been speculated.
As of right now, evidence strongly indicates that the cause of DJ AM's death Friday afternoon will be a mixture of crack cocaine and benzodiazepines.
AM recently said that when he was an addict, crack was his drug of choice.
It's a shame that his addiction, which he kept at bay for 11 years, reared its ugly head again and claimed the life of someone so widely respected and liked.