OMG, Sarah Palin is out of her mind.
Look, we're fine with the Alaskan Governor sharing her political views, even if we don't agree with them; and we'd never blame her for defending her family against actual, unfair attacks.
But her current feud with David Letterman, which may have been initially based on a misunderstanding that Letterman calmly cleared up this week, has turned into nothing but a defamatory attack against a long-time, respected talk show host.
We'll even give Palin and husband Todd the benefit of the doubt. We'll believe they were under the original impression that Letterman made a joke about Alex Rodriguez and Eliot Spitzer having sex with their 14-year old daughter, Willow.
But the facts are these:
- Bristol Palin is 18 years old and recently gave birth;
- Sarah Palin says anyone that believes Letterman was referring to Bristol, as opposed to Willow, is "naive."
- Addressing the Palin's criticism on his program, Letterman stated: "These are not jokes made about her 14-year-old daughter. I would never make jokes about raping or having sex of any description with a 14-year-old girl... Am I guilty of poor taste? Yes. Did I suggest that it was okay for her 14-year-old daughter to be having promiscuous sex? No."
What else is there to say? It was a misunderstanding, Letterman admitted that the jokes were questionable and that he was going for a "cheap laugh." But seriously, people, he's a comedian. He makes a living mocking those in the news.
Yet the Palins wouldn't let it die, ratcheting up their critique by actually implying that Letterman was a pedophile and/or rapist. A family spokesperson said:
"It would be wise to keep Willow away from David Letterman."
On The Today Show this morning, Matt Laurer grilled Palin over the meaning of that statement.
"Take it the way you want to take it," Palin said, copping out and not even attempting to explain herself.
"But is that [comment] also not in bad taste?" Lauer pressed.
"No, it's not," said Palin.
Really, Governor? It's not at all in bad taste to say that you don't trust Letterman around your daughter? At least Dave freely admitted his jokes may have crossed a line.
With all due respect to Sarah Palin supporters, please answer these questions:
- Do you believe David Letterman was making jokes about the Governor's 14-year old daughter?
- If so, why? On what are you basing that?
- If you believe Letterman was referring to Bristol Palin, does he really deserve to be called out in such a manner?
Bristol is 18, she did get pregnant, he's a late-night comic. Do you think Dave (and Jay Leno, and Conan O'Brien) didn't make jokes about Jamie Lynn Spears?
Moreover, the Palins PUT THEIR DAUGHTER ON THE COVER OF PEOPLE MAGAZINE! Do they really have a right to complain about her as talk show fodder when the family plastered her face all over the leading supermarket tabloid?
Please discuss. We'd love to hear from you.