In a word ... seriously!?
As Grey's Anatomy faded to white, Izzie stood in the elevator in her prom dress from Season Two, with George in his new Army uniform staring back at her. The presumed afterlife encounter was the last we will see of either ... until September, anyway.
After almost an entire year of off-screen and on-screen drama regarding the future of Katherine Heigl (Izzie Stevens) and T.R. Knight (George O'Malley), their status remains ambiguous after last night's heart-stopping Grey's Anatomy finale.
Izzie was getting better, and George finally had a purpose, enlisting as an Army doctor. But then she coded at the end, while it a bus crash patient whose facial injuries made him unrecognizable turned out to be George. He crashed, as well.
Creator Shonda Rhimes was still coy in an interview this morning on the fate of Heigl and Knight. Here are some questions about the two beloved, likely-dead characters, and those who we know will be back, that linger as we await Season Six ...
- Where does Dr. Bailey go from here?
- Will Lexie and Mark move in together?
- Are Cristina and Owen like, a couple now?
- Will Jessica Capshaw (Arizona) be around next season?
- As the baby bump becomes more and more visible, is Ellen Pompeo's pregnancy going to be written in, or will she go on leave?
- Was the Meredith-Derek wedding - officiated by themselves, and with hastily written vows recited via post-it note - the real deal?
- Will this be the most talked-about episode since the second season finale (2006), in which Izzie wore said prom dress as Denny passed away?
- Is this ending the result of the producers' own ambiguity over whether George and Izzie will die - and/or the actors' willingness to come back?
What do you think? Was it outrageously bad? Are you exhausted in every way? Did you find the Grey's Anatomy season finale exhilarating?