Ali Lohan might not believe this, but there was a time when wanna-be celebrities couldn't just appear on a reality show or make a sex tape and earn instant fame.
Hopeful actors had to - gasp! - work for their success. The most popular forum in which future stars built their careers? The soap opera. Here's a look at a few big names that weren't always on the big screen marquee.
For years, they were simply hopping from daytime bed to daytime bed...
- Eva Longoria - The Young and the Restless (2001-03)
- Hayden Panettiere - One Life to Live (1994-97); Guiding Light (1996-2000)
- Snoop Dogg - Remixed One Life to Live theme; Guest-starred, May 2008
The new Dogg pound: Snoop on the set of One Life to Live.
- Demi Moore - General Hospital (1982-83)
- Tori Spelling - Beverly Hills, 90210 (perpetually)
- Marisa Tomei - As the World Turns (1983-1985)
- Meg Ryan - As the World Turns (1982-84)
- Sarah Michelle Gellar - All My Children (1993-95)