Stunningly, in the wake of the Mel Gibson DUI arrest / anti-semetic rampage, ABC has pulled the plug on a miniseries about the Holocaust that it was developing with actor's production company, Icon.
"Given that it has been nearly two years and we have yet to see the first draft of a script, we have decided to no longer pursue this project with Icon," an ABC representative told the Wall Street Journal.
The representative declined to comment further on why the project had been shelved, but the timing is awfully convenient, no?
The series was canceled despite the support of Oren Aviv, the new head of the Disney film studio, who released a statement earlier this week saying:
"I've worked with Mel on several films over the years and we have a great relationship. We all make mistakes and I've accepted his apology to what was a regrettable situation. I wish him the very best on his path to healing," Aviv said.
Disney, which is owned by ABC, said yesterday that it would continue with plans to distribute Gibson's next movie, Apocalypto, about the fall of the Mayan empire, which is scheduled for release December 8.
Meanwhile, the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department has just released actor Mel Gibson's booking photo (below) from his Friday morning arrest, and the story-breakers at TMZ.com have posted it. Mel looks like he's had a few!